GCBL staff | 04/22/08 @ 2:12pm
- In honor of Earth Day, the Pew Environment Group is collecting signatures here to support a clean energy future in Ohio. "By tackling global warming, we can both help our environment and create high tech new jobs in Ohio."
- Governor Ted Strickland recently announced the formation of the Ohio 21st Century Transportation Taskforce. The taskforce is charged with gathering input from across the state from specific meetings as well as gathering public input online, All Aboard Ohio reports. "This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate public need for increased investment in rail and mass transit in Ohio." Comments can be submitted here.
- The Ohio Housing Finance Agency awarded $2.5 million to a Cleveland effort called the Strategic Investment Initiative, which will renovate homes in targeted areas with the goal of creating "model blocks" in six Cleveland neighborhoods particularly hard hit by the foreclosure crisis.
- The U.S. Senate recently voted to extend tax incentives for solar, wind, and other sustainable energy technologies by an impressive 88-8 vote, American Solar Energy Society reports. The incentives were passed as an amendment to the Housing Bill (H.R. 3221) from Senators Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and John Ensign (R-NV).
- Global Green Technologies and Solutions, a geothermal energy company, plans to locate its national headquarters in Lorain, a move that will bring about 20 new jobs to the county, The Chronicle-Telegram reports.