A new jobs report out today shows Cleveland leading the nation in unemployment. Sound of Ideas reported that 4,000 new unemployment claims were filed here since the Recession began. So, where will the recovery come from as we learn to pivot from the era of steel mills employing thousands to building a green city on a blue lake?
Blog › Clean air
In the 2012 movie, Promised Land, a prospector for an oil and gas company arrives in a small, Midwest town with a briefcase full of royalty checks. The charming young man played by Matt Damon expects the locals to get all starry eyed at the promise of riches. The only hitch is—and this is where Hollywood may be accused of...
Should we expect our vaunted market economics to innovate a climate change solution? Even economists as bullish as Severin Borenstein see the flaw in market-driven solutions. The professor of business and policy at UC Berkeley and an advisor to California’s Cap and Trade system launching this fall insists it will take a balance of subsidies to green power and taxes...more
· We've posted some of the key findings from Dr. Jonathan Patz, lead author of IPCC and the recent, "Swapping Tailpipes for Pedals" study which quantifies the health impacts for Great Lakes cities including Cleveland of being a car dominated society. Dr. Patz concludes: Energy, transportation and urban planning policies to protect human health are necessary today - whether or...more
Data supports mode shift in Cleveland; Sustainable transportation group moves on West Shoreway project
· Dr. Jonathan Patz is thinking beyond his niche as a health and climate expert and lead author of the IPCC to the cost-benefit of doing nothing to reduce climate change versus a bold rethinking of the design of cities with an eye to reduce car use (target: 20% Vehicle Miles Traveled). His "Swapping tailpipes for pedals" study looked at...more
Social media feed
- It's a nice day to #ThinkandDrink w/local sustainability champions and still enjoy the great outdoors of the Ralph… https://t.co/Xuuj1dJBO5
7 days ago via Twitter
- This shld b good news for #Cleveland as it moves to dockless bikeshare https://t.co/2vQoRuzGyN
13 days ago via Twitter
- #Cleveland is keeping up w/bike meccas like #Minneapolis largely due to its pace of change (tx @Bike_CLE +… https://t.co/PDOG2Nf0aG
13 days ago via Twitter
Ten water saving tips >
We're at the shore of Lake Erie, but we still have good reasons to conserve
10 ways to stay cool and save >
See these tips to beat the heat and save money.
Eco-friendly landscapes >
We look inside two local guides to native landscaping and their benefits.