Marc Lefkowitz | 01/28/08 @ 4:49pm
- The Cuyahoga Valley Initiative (CVI) created a roadmap to reinvent the river valley by attracting environmentally minded industry. Leading the way is CLEERTEC's green bulkhead project, an environmental restoration project that would improve the conditions for aquatic life in the industrial shipping channel of the lower Cuyahoga River. Get an update here.
- Paul Oyaski, director of Cuyahoga County's Department of Development and member of the county's energy task force studying wind power on Lake Erie, emailed this photo from his family's summer vacation in Canada. It's of Erie Shores Wind Farm, which is 66 turbines powering thousands of homes in southern Ontario. They cost about $2.5 million each and were part of a government-initiated renewable energy strategy.
- Lou Bleier wonders why a German company was hired to work on the Lake Erie Wind Turbine Project. "I'm not against using global resources," he writes, "however, with the dollar dropping and the Euro rising, I find it hard to believe it's a good value." This Texas company successfully completed an off-shore installation of seven wind turbines in the Irish Sea in 2003, he adds. "I think that model would be perfect for a stage one in Lake Erie."
- The National Surface Transportation and Revenue Study Commission released its report to Congress last week. "Transportation for Tomorrow: Report of the National Surface Transportation Policy and Revenue Study Commission," prepared by a specially convened commission of the Safe Accountable, Flexible and Efficient Transportation Equity Act" A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU). The report includes detailed recommendations for creating and sustaining a pre-eminent surface transportation system in the United States.
- Euclid Corridor construction enters University Circle-Weather permitting, permanent lane closures from Stokes Boulevard to Mayfield Road will begin Tuesday, January 29. The south lanes of Euclid Avenue between Stokes Boulevard and Mayfield Road will close. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction using the north half of Euclid Avenue. Be prepared for lane shifts when approaching this area. For more information.