David Beach | 01/23/08 @ 10:10pm
The Ohio League of Conservation Voters is recommending the following legislative priorities for 2008:
- Great Lakes Compact (HB 416), which would give Ohio's approval of the multi-state strategy to protect the Great Lakes from water withdrawals.
- Lake Erie Restoration (HB 298), which would help stop the invastion of exotic species into Lake Erie by controlling the discharge of ballast water from ships.
- Clean Ohio Fund reauthorization, which would extend the popular funding program for brownfields cleanup, protection of greenspace and farms, and the development of recreational trails.
- Tougher controls to prohibit persons with criminal records from running construction and demolition debris landfills.
- Statewide energy policy bills to set standards for renewable energy production and energy efficiency (SB 221), provide an income tax credit for the replacement of old appliances with energy-efficient models (HB 158), and provide a tax credit for constructing energy-efficient buildings (SB 199).
- Global climate change bill (SB 128) to create an Ohio Climate Commission to study the impacts of climate change on Ohio and recommend ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.