GCBL staff | 08/05/08 @ 2:59pm
- Cleveland's green jobs potential The movement to make American cities more sustainable, efficient and livable may be the greatest new engine for urban economic growth, innovation and job creation in many decades, Leo Russo, director of Tri-C's Green Academy, writes in the current EarthWatch Ohio. Cleveland stands to realize the promise with a "green jobs" project at the Green Academy and Center for Sustainability at Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C)." Read more.
- Art museum deserves time to pause and consider Now that Cleveland Museum of Art is almost midway through its major renovation, it's time for the museum to pause and reexamine if its original intentions from 1999 still sit with the realities of 2008, historic preservation professional Steve McQuillin writes in CoolCleveland. For example, the proposed glass atrium not only "preempts?one of University Circle's finest spots"-the summer courtyard with its mature trees and café tables-but it "might not be the most responsible solution in an age of renewed concern for energy conservation." Read more.
- Massachusetts Governor Patrick's ZNEB Task Force is moving at full force The Zero Net Energy Building (ZNEB) Task Force convened for its kickoff meeting on July 10, 2008 in Boston assembling 60+ experts from all aspects of the building industry to meet Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick's challenge to make "zero net energy" a design standard within the Commonwealth's public and private construction industries over the next 20 years. Read more.
- Solar, green tech investments skyrocket Corporate giants are not only paying attention to green tech, they invested a one-quarter record of $961.7 million, GreenTech reports. Three deals shot past $100 million, including solar thermal power plant makers eSolar and BrightSource. The other deal involved SunEdison, which also received a boost from a New York Times report that the state of New Jersey is considering a shift to selling energy credits that would greatly benefit the company which is financing and installing large solar arrays in the state.
- The entire country of China will eliminate single-use plastic bags in time for the Olympics.Read more.