A new jobs report out today shows Cleveland leading the nation in unemployment. Sound of Ideas reported that 4,000 new unemployment claims were filed here since the Recession began. So, where will the recovery come from as we learn to pivot from the era of steel mills employing thousands to building a green city on a blue lake?
Blog › Clean air
In the 2012 movie, Promised Land, a prospector for an oil and gas company arrives in a small, Midwest town with a briefcase full of royalty checks. The charming young man played by Matt Damon expects the locals to get all starry eyed at the promise of riches. The only hitch is—and this is where Hollywood may be accused of...
Should we expect our vaunted market economics to innovate a climate change solution? Even economists as bullish as Severin Borenstein see the flaw in market-driven solutions. The professor of business and policy at UC Berkeley and an advisor to California’s Cap and Trade system launching this fall insists it will take a balance of subsidies to green power and taxes...more
· We've posted some of the key findings from Dr. Jonathan Patz, lead author of IPCC and the recent, "Swapping Tailpipes for Pedals" study which quantifies the health impacts for Great Lakes cities including Cleveland of being a car dominated society. Dr. Patz concludes: Energy, transportation and urban planning policies to protect human health are necessary today - whether or...more
Data supports mode shift in Cleveland; Sustainable transportation group moves on West Shoreway project
· Dr. Jonathan Patz is thinking beyond his niche as a health and climate expert and lead author of the IPCC to the cost-benefit of doing nothing to reduce climate change versus a bold rethinking of the design of cities with an eye to reduce car use (target: 20% Vehicle Miles Traveled). His "Swapping tailpipes for pedals" study looked at...more
Social media feed
- The answer is technically ‘yes’ (at least, we’re very close to finding out). https://t.co/wmE5qVlHT8
a day ago via Twitter
- #transit in #Cleveland is a major part of this report. Shld be interesting. https://t.co/4ouEpuLEao
2 days ago via Twitter
- Akron is about to resuscitate its dead mall for all the wrong reasons. https://t.co/r8g8dQs929
2 days ago via Twitter
10 best ecological restoration >
Cities are healthier as a whole when nature is invited in.
Find local food >
Explore local food resources and a map of farmers markets in Northeast Ohio
Your location can cost or save >
See if your neighborhood is costing or saving you more than the average