Perhaps the simplest and most foolproof way to build wealth in the region is to keep more dollars circulating in the local economy. Every dollar spent in locally owned stores or for locally produced goods and services has a beneficial multiplier effect far beyond a dollar that immediately flows out of the region.
This section will cover the efforts to support local businesses and to study how our dollars are flowing in and out of the local economy. Two priority areas will be energy and food — necessities that drain billions of dollars out of Northeast Ohio each year
Local, sustainable businesses
- A Piece of Cleveland, furniture made from wood reclaimed from Cleveland-area buildings
- Blicksbags, messenger bags made in Cleveland from reclaimed materials
- Evergreen Cooperatives
- EZ Brite, a natural cleaning products company that has been 'zero waste' for 20 years
- Forest City Portage, messenger bags and backpacks made in Cleveland from reclaimed materials
- Full Circle Fuels
- Plenty Underfoot
- Room Service
- Rowdy Indie Craft Fair
- 2nd Shift furniture design
- Screw Factory Artists Studios
Do you know of another business producing its goods from local, sustainable sources? Let us know.
Ten water saving tips >
We're at the shore of Lake Erie, but we still have good reasons to conserve
10 ways to stay cool and save >
See these tips to beat the heat and save money.
Your location can cost or save >
See if your neighborhood is costing or saving you more than the average