Seasonal Environmental Educator
Jan 24, 2020 | Part-Time
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
Seasonal Environmental Educators
• School Year Position (Sept-May): Avg. 25 hours/week; primarily M-F between 9am-5pm; hours vary by month
• Summer Camp Position (June-Aug): Avg. 40 hours/week; commit to 4-10 full weeks of camp; primarily M-F 8am-4pm
Reports to: Director of Education
Job Type: Hourly Employee, Non-Exempt
Job Status: Seasonal: Hours vary by month
General Description: The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes (NCSL), a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 1966 and located in the historic Shaker Parklands of Cleveland’s eastern inner-ring suburbs, seeks a creative and committed Environmental Educator to work with the Education Director and staff to carry out its educational program goals. The Nature Center’s mission, vision, programs, staff, board, and history can be found at www.shakerlakes.org.
Overall Responsibilities: The successful candidate will work with fellow environmental educators presenting NCSL-designed curricula and hands-on outdoor experiences to school children (pre-K-12th grade), outdoor adventure camps for children, nature-themed public programs for families and adults, nature walks, birthday parties, and other community programming as needed and scheduled. The type of programming varies by season with school programming taking priority Sept-May and summer camp programming taking priority June-Aug.
1. Prepare and execute Nature Center education programs to key audiences, including area school children, families, adults, preschool children, campers, and birthday parties.
2. Summer camp: Reference NCSL lesson plans, activities and resources to plan your camp sessions. Curriculum development may be needed.
3. Stay current and work collaboratively with all Nature Center staff to ensure excellence and maintain continuous improvement of NCSL curricula and programs.
4. Work effectively with teachers and other clients, volunteers and the public in the presentation of Nature Center programs and events.
5. Maintain good humor and apply professional, common-sense solutions to everyday challenges.
6. Work occasional evenings or weekends to attend meetings, events, and public programs as required.
7. Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum 1 year lead teaching experience with children
• Four-year college degree in Education, Environmental Studies or related science/natural resource field preferred
• Ability to manage children in the outdoors; must possess visual and auditory abilities to identify and respond to hazards related to outdoor activities
• Must be able to observe student/camper behavior and implement appropriate behavior management techniques as needed
• Ability to design age-appropriate environmental education curricula and activities for a wide variety of audiences
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate in an outdoor urban setting
• Love of the outdoors; knowledge of or interest in natural history/ecology, local flora and fauna
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of audiences including parents/guardians, teachers and staff with tact, courtesy, and diplomacy
• Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, adapt to change, work independently, and to prioritize effectively
• Excellent computer skills; must be familiar with Microsoft Office applications
• CPR/First Aid Certification required (training opportunities provided)
• Ability to hike 3-5 miles with a 10 pound backpack
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record
• Enthusiasm, poise, flexibility, dependability, good sense of humor, and positive attitude
• Commitment to NCSL mission, principles and values
Compensation: $11-14 per hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications
Start Date: School Year Position: March 2020; Summer Camp Position: June 2020
Applicants may apply for more than one position.
Subject: Seasonal Environmental Educator
Include: Cover letter, resume, and three references. Please clearly state which position (School Year, Summer Camp or Both) you are interested in within your cover letter.
School Year Deadline: February 24, 2020 or until filled
Summer Camp Deadline: April 20, 2020 or until filled
Posted: January 24, 2020
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is an Equal Opportunity Employer
10 ways to stay cool and save >
See these tips to beat the heat and save money.
Your location can cost or save >
See if your neighborhood is costing or saving you more than the average
Eco-friendly landscapes >
We look inside two local guides to native landscaping and their benefits.