Transportation Management Associations
Transportation Management Associations (TMAs) provide coordinated transportation services in a specified geographic area. TMAs provide transportation planning, programs and services to complement and expand upon existing services available through public and private agencies, including private employers.
- Pedestrian planning
- Bicycle planning
- Rideshare and vanpool coordination
- Coordinated parking services
- Shuttle and taxi services
- Improved public transportation
- Marketing services (including maps and wayfinding materials)
- Financial incentives
Opportunities for a TMA in Northeast Ohio
- Downtown Cleveland- Cleveland State University
- 147,000 workers
- 15.8 million visitors
- 8,000+ residents (Downtown Cleveland Partnership fact sheet)
- University Circle- University Hospitals / Case Western Reserve University / Cleveland Clinic / Museums
- 40,000+ workers
- 2 million visitors
- 12,000+ residents (fact sheet)
- I-271 Corridor - UH / Cleveland Clinic / Progressive Insurance
- Downtown Akron - University of Akron / Summa Health
Existing elements of a TMA in Northeast Ohio
Northeast Ohio has a number of existing organizations that maintain individual programs and services that are transportation focused. However, there is no organization charged with coordinated planning that crosses jurisdictional, private/public, or funding boundaries, leaving the programs and services below to stand on their own.
A TMA provides this missing coordinated planning function - within an existing organization, or as a stand alone umbrella transportation planning organization which would plan and partner with other organizations. A TMA also tracks specific goals, metrics, and desired community outcomes - for instance, reduced commute times, congestion, pollution or increased number of transit riders, parking available to visitors, bike parking spaces, etc.
Below are some of the existing elements and agencies/organizations responsible for the services:
- Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA)
- University Circle, Inc. (UCI)
- Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA)
- Downtown Cleveland Alliance (DCA)
- Akron Metropolitan Transit Study (AMATS)
- Akron METRO
- Private services
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute
Existing TMA programs
10 ways to stay cool and save >
See these tips to beat the heat and save money.
Find local food >
Explore local food resources and a map of farmers markets in Northeast Ohio
Eco-friendly landscapes >
We look inside two local guides to native landscaping and their benefits.